AX SKILLS WORKSHOP
Split firewood with ease, make kindling safely, clear fallen trees like a pro.
Learn the ergonomic techniques that make your ax swing powerful and keep your body strong.
Discover how to select, sharpen, and maintain the right ax for you.
WHAT PEOPLE ARE SAYING
“I liked the sense of kinship in the woods and the comfortable and safe learning environment.”
FIRST-TIME AX WIELDER
“Solid instruction in a very accepting environment. Physical and emotional safety was well covered.”
AX SKILLS PARTICIPANT
“Supportive and skilled instruction in a gorgeous environment! Wide range of tools & skills covered, and a good emphasis on safety”
AX SKILLS PARTICIPANT
- A comprehensive one-day class, with a hot lunch provided.
- This class is for marginalized genders (women, trans people, and non-binary folks).
- No experience necessary, and we provide the axes.
- The class is designed for adults, but teens with good focus may attend if accompanied by a parent or guardian
- Murphy will teach you the correct form from the beginning, so your ax swing will be safe, accurate, and ergonomic
Where is it?
Our ax workshop is held at Mountainsong Expeditions in Worcester, VT. You can find directions here.
You need enough physical mobility to walk through the forest a short distance and swing an ax overhead.
In the spring and early summer, it can be buggy. Bring your preferred method of bug defense.
When is it?
Class will be held from from 10am to 4pm on November 5, 2022.
How much is it?
The ax workshop is $95 per person. Pay in advance to reserve your spot.
Our Covid Policy
- Stay home if you are sick or have been directly exposed
- Masks are not required, but you are welcome to wear one if you choose. The program is 100% outdoors.
- We do not require vaccination, but we strongly encourage it.
“I feel so much more confident to just get out there and start splitting/bucking/felling/etc. The group dynamic was so much fun and supportive! If you want to gain confidence or learn ax skills from scratch, this is the place to be. I had an amazing day and am so excited to put these skills to use.”
—Kealy, Ax Skills Student
“I learned that this work is not as complex or mystical or intimidating as I thought. I liked being able to practice in a supportive environment, with gentle guidance, trying different tools in a variety of sizes and weights.”
—Sarah, Ax Skills Student
Murphy Robinson is the founder of Mountainsong Expeditions and has been working in outdoor leadership since 2005.
Murphy is a wilderness guide who has been teaching ax skills since 2013. They learned their ax skills in the California Conservation Corps and from various woodsy friends.
They heat their home entirely with hand-split firewood.
BE THE FIRST TO HEAR ABOUT OUR NEW CLASSES!
Can't make it to our class this time around? Join our email list to be the first to hear about the classes we will be offering in the future.
Check your inbox for a free gift after you sign up!